Corporate Social Responsibility
Equator Gold are dedicated to working closely with the stakeholders and communities in which it operates. Equator understands that creating and sustaining good relationships with these communities is essential to the long term success of the project.
Equator Gold and their local partners are committed to:
- Providing opportunity for employment and training for people from local communities;
- Procurement and use of local suppliers wherever possible;
- Observing and implementing best international practice in relation to social development, environment, security, and health and safety issues;
- Identifying ways that our operations can benefit our host communities;
- Ensuring a long-term contribution to the sustainable development of local communities;
- Being a good and responsible corporate citizen promoting sustainable development; and
- Working with federal and State Governments and NGOs to funnel sustainable benefits to local communities.
Currently principally an exploration company, Equator Gold intends to expand rapidly and to fully develop gold resources through to production and recognizes the need to adopt and apply standards and approaches which transcend the full development cycle. Equator is implementing a comprehensive social and environmental policy at an early stage in order to manage stakeholder and community expectations, but also to allow easy up-scaling through the feasibility stages and into production.
Green Build Africa
In recent months Equator has entered discussions with Green Build Africa (GBA), a relatively new NGO providing energy efficient buildings for education, health and social housing. GBA is currently building schools in South Africa and wants to test the water in a second African country. It believes that South Sudan would be a suitable, if challenging, candidate. If Equator and GBA become partners, we would conduct a review of the needs of the communities in the Luri area, and work with GBA to address them. Funding would come largely from GBA, with Equator providing local knowledge and facilitation.
GBA intends to undertake a preliminary fact finding trip to South Sudan in Quarter 4 of 2013 and from this trip make a decision on the suitability of South Sudan as a second host country for their operations.